Thursday, June 6, 2013

Cause the Philanthropub

Cause website
1926 9th Street NW

NEVER AGAIN

I was very excited to be heading to Cause for some interesting menu items.  They have an array of food choices that you can’t find often enough in this city. Some of their dishes include items such as sliced beef heart, bone marrow, braised beef tongue and duck hearts. For the less adventurous eaters Cause also offers many “normal” dishes that include a burger, pork shoulder, brie sandwich, quinoa burger and other meat and vegetarian options. 

I went with a number of friends and we decided to split some dishes and of course we had to try the wings which are G. Tso style chicken wings with sesame seeds, green onion and Japanese cowboy sauce.  The other food we ordered was Heart of Darkness (beef heart), Duck Hearts on Toast, and L.G.B.T. Q (beef tongue).  Of the extra sandwiches and the duck hearts I would say the most flavorful and richest of the food was the Duck Hearts on Toast.  It was cooked to perfection and very tender.   My second favorite dish was the L.G.B.T. Q.  I like this sandwich best of the two we got because beef tongue is usually pretty tender and flavorful which this sandwich proved to showcase.  I would get the duck hearts and beef tongue again since they were both amazing.  The Heart of Darkness was okay but as beef heart tends to be more of a strong chewy muscle the thinly sliced heart was a chewier sandwich in which I found to be my least favorite. The Heart of Darkness was still flavorful and taste great but not my favorite. 

WING REVIEW:
As for the wings we ordered I would never get them again.  They were probably one of the worst wings I have ever eaten in the city.  When the wings came out they were coated in a sticky super sweet sauce that seemed to have caramelized on the wing.  Any time I have ever had G. Tso’s chicken it is never sweet and caramelized and the original recipe calls for no sugar so I am not sure where Cause gets the sweet from.  The Japanese cowboy sauce served on the side is an even more disappointing addition to the dish.  The side sauce tasted like flavorless yogurt and had a funky texture that I was scared to even eat.  I will say the only redeeming quality about the wings is they were all very large in size but the sugar sauce coating was so sweet it could leave you with a  cavity.  The idea of a G. Tso wing is great only if the recipe of the sauce is on par.  The other food at Cause, of which I have had has been amazing.  I wonder what Andrea W. Scott G., Marvin O. and Chris D. thought of the wings when they went with me that night?  

No comments: