Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lou's City Bar

http://www.louscitybar.com/

1400 Irving St NW, Columbia Heights

Sad to say I went to this bar about 3 months ago or something and I am JUST getting around to writing the review on the wings.  I know I am really behind and I need to keep up with my wing eating and posting.  So the Wackos went to Lou’s Bar for one of the happy hour marathon stops and I made sure I went before my dodge ball game because I really wanted to try these wings.  Kaitlyn M. made sure to order all four of their flavors so that reviews could be written on all of their wings in one write-up. The wing options they have are: Buffalo served with blue cheese, Jerk served with Caribbean dressing, BBQ served with ranch, Asian Zing with sweet and sour sauce (this is not on the menu anymore now they have Chesapeake).

1.       Buffalo-  These wings came out and the skin was crispy from being deep fried and had a decent flavor but they were not hot at all.  Someone who is very sensitive to spicy food would be able to eat these since there was no spice or heat coming through the flavor of these wings.  The sauce that was served was the blue cheese dressing and it was just a typical dressing, nothing too fancy.  FAIR



2.       Jerk- The jerk wings came out and they looked pretty appetizing.  This was the first time I had a jerk wing that was cooked as a dry rub and not in a jerk sauce or marinade of some sort.  The jerk seasoning was a combination of herbs and spices rubbed on the outside and these wings were very crispy and fried.  The dipping sauce that came with these wings was a Caribbean sauce that really should not have been placed anywhere near these wings.  The sauce was so unbelievably disgusting I can’t believe any chef or GM would choose to put it on a plate.  It was sweet and tangy at first and then left a sour spoiled taste in your mouth after.  That sauce really needs to come off the menu it is ruining the wings.  GOOD-wings    NEVER AGAIN- sauce




3.       BBQ- The BBQ wings were decent.  They sauce itself was not too sweet and was not overpowered by a smoky or peppery flavor.  The sauce that covered these wings also had a slight spicy kick to it which was nice and paired well with the celery and ranch on the side. GOOD



4.       Asian Zing-  The Asian zing wings were cooked crispy like the other wings and then covered in gooey sticky mess.  The wing sauce was sweet at first and then delivered no flavor at all to ones palate.  The sauce was a waste of perfectly good wings, which is why these wings may be off their menu as far as I can see.  When I see a wing name “Asian Zing” I would expect some kind of soy sauce mixed with hot peppers of some sort.  This wing was none of those flavors mixed together and the sweet and sour dipping sauce was sticky flavorless goo.  NEVER AGAIN



Overall I was not impressed with Lou’s City Bar and I do not foresee going back in a hurry in the near future.  I am glad they have taken the Asian Zing off the menu and added Chesapeake to the menu.  If I do go back I would try the Chesapeake wings to see what they are like and I am sure they are semi decent because Lou’s does fry the wings nicely.






No comments: